Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fresh Tomato Soup

I got this recipe out of the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook, or as I call it "the red-and-white checked cookbook that looks like a picnic tablecloth". This is such a simple recipe and it can be easily changed for those with allergies, different tastes, etc. I'm posting the recipe as listed in my cookbook and then I'll post my adjustments.

3 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered, or one 14 1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 c chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/2 of a 6-ounce can tomato paste (1/3 cup)
2 T. snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp. lime juice or lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
Snipped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)

1. If desired, seed the fresh tomatoes. In a large saucepan combine fresh tomatoes or undrained canned tomatoes, water, onion, celery, tomato paste, the 2 T. cilantro or parsley, bouillon granules, lime or lemon juice, sugar and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until celery and onion are very tender. Cool slightly.
2. Place half of the tomato mixture in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Return all to the saucepan; heat through. If desired, garnish with the additional cilantro or parley. Makes about 4 cups (4 side-dish servings).


Malinda's Adjusted Recipe

3 medium tomatoes, seeded and quartered (I did not peel them)
1 1/2 c. water
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. celery
1/2 of 6-ounce can tomato paste (1/3 c)
2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sugar

I omitted cilantro/parsley and hot pepper sauce. I thought I'd probably be more successful at feeding it to kids without the "green things" and the "heat".

I followed the cooking directions and did not reheat after blending as my mixture was still quite warm.

We LOVED it! Yes, it takes longer than can, but it doesn't TASTE like can. A great way to use all those summer tomatoes and a yummy way too. This soup can also be served chilled, but I haven't personally tasted it that way.

ENJOY! We did. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment